Sunday 22 May 2016

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

 

Series: The Body Finder
Author: Kimberly Derting
Page Count: 327
Published: March 16th, 2010
Publisher: Harper
  4 Stars ★★★★

Violet can sense the dead. They give off unique 'echoes', which are also attached to their killers. She hasn't found a dead human in a long time but that changes once somebody starts prowling on teen girls in her area. 

Violet is determined to use her ability to help the police track down this killer, but her best friend, Jay, is adamantly against the idea. Dealing with the fear of being the next victim and her complicated feelings for Jay, Violet only hopes to stay alive to solve the mystery, catch the killer and maybe even find love in the process.

So I initially had a bit of trouble getting into this book, I guess I found the writing style somewhat different than other books I have read. Once I got into the middle of chapter two I was completely engrossed in the story but I felt it was a bit hard to get into at the very beginning. I think this may have to do with the level of description found on the first page, even within the first paragraph. I have trouble visualizing when there's so much description! But as the book progressed, the descriptive nature of the writing was better paced. 

That's really my only criticism. I remember a friend of mine recommending this book to me years ago, after it first was published. I had dismissed it at the time but recently decided to pick up a copy and give it a try. I am disappointed that I hadn't decided to do this sooner! 

I was sort of expecting something cheesy, something cliche, especially considering the mention of Violet's feelings for Jay, falling in love, all that. But the romantic aspect was quite believable and paced perfectly in relation to the greater plot. I feel like the romance added to this book, instead of taking away from its value as I've felt romance has done in other novels. 

They mystery aspect was very well done. A slight spoiler, but that part where she senses the killer in the woods during the search? That was very suspenseful and other events in the story followed suit! I was always on edge when Violet sensed an echo. I can confidently say that I feel that this book executed the mystery and suspense aspect of the plot very, very well.

 This book played with my emotions at the very end, and I was simultaneously angry at and impressed with the author for being able to do this in so few pages. There was a twist, and then another twist, and I feel like this was a very effective ending to the first book in this series. It made me wish I had the sequel there and then.

So I most certainly recommend this book, especially if you like YA and mystery. If you're interested in murder mysteries along with paranormal ideas, this is a great blend of the two.  





No comments:

Post a Comment