Thursday 12 March 2015

Sweep: Book Of Shadows by Cate Tiernan


Series: Sweep
Author: Cate Tiernan
Page Count: 176
Published: March 22nd, 2007
Publisher: Speak
5 Stars ★★★★★


When Morgan meets Cal, everything changes. Despite her close-minded Catholic upbringing, she finds herself drawn to the fascinating world of Wicca, and soon realizes that she has a gift....

I LOVED this book! I felt like Morgan and I both had so much in common; a Catholic upbringing, and a Pagan transformation. I kept rooting for her to overcome her parents and their judgement, and to choose the right path for herself!

The characters were quite diverse; some ultra conservative Christians balanced by relaxed Wiccans, and gay secondary characters were included as well. I really appreciated this because there aren't enough books out there with such diversity, especially in the YA genre.

This book also dealt very well with the tough subject of family conflict, especially around things like religion. Cate Tiernan is quite brave to openly portray Wicca positively in a world dominated by other religions and disapproval, and I applaud her for this.

I also appreciated the somewhat realistic portrayal of Wicca. Unlike other novels including witches who either call themselves Wiccan or are hinted at as being such, this book portrayed the craft and beliefs rather accurately. I have to say, though, that I've heard of some of the events that occur in the other books in the series which are NOT accurate portrayals of Wicca and Paganism, so I feel that it is important to note that.

I recommend this book to those who want to read a non-cliche YA book, with an interesting mix of reality and the paranormal, and an intriguing plot.\

 Find Book of Shadows on Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your review. It is not the usual novel we find on GoodReads and such. And I liked it, and afterreading a real Wicca book I could see she really did Picture it nicely. Although I thought it would mostly be when I read it. And this book started my interest in Wicca and I had to find out more. Not many books do that. Very well done.
    And good luck again with your blog Julia ;)

    ReplyDelete